Amendment to Turkish Citizenship LawThe new Turkish Citizenship Law was ratified by the President on June 11, 2009. This is the fourth amendment to the 1964 Turkish Citizenship Law, which was previously amended in 2003 and in 2004. The new law while making it easier for Turkish citizens to hold dual citizenship has also brought new conditions for foreigners.
Following are the changes:
- Not doing military service and holding dual citizenship without prior permission are no longer reasons for being deprived of Turkish citizenship.
- A child born to Turkish citizens, either in Turkey or abroad, will be counted as a citizen of Turkey.
- A child born to an unmarried female or male with Turkish citizenship will be counted as a citizen of Turkey, as long as the blood line can be proven.
- A child born to foreign parents in Turkey, can obtain Turkish citizenship if the child cannot obtain the citizenship of his/her parents.
- A foreign child adopted by a Turkish citizen will be granted Turkish citizenship.
The approval of a competent authority is required for a foreigner to gain Turkish citizenship. Foreigners can become Turkish citizens if they fulfill with the following conditions.
- The applicant should be of full age according to his own national legal system or to Turkish laws if they are stateless.
- The applicant must have resided in Turkey for 5 years, without any interruptions.
- The applicant should have no sickness or disease that threats the public.
- The applicant must speak a reasonable level of Turkish.
- The applicant must have the intention of settling in Turkey and should confirm his intention of settling in Turkey with behaviors such as acquiring immovable property, marrying and so on.
- The applicant must have good moral standing, and having no relation to theft, smuggling, swindling etc... and earn enough to support themselves as well as their dependents.
- Those who make investments in Turkey or those who contribute to Turkish science, technology, sports or art may become a Turkish citizen.
Even if foreigners comply with all the conditions, they will not be able to obtain citizenship if the Turkish authorities do not approve.
Would you like to add your comment about this article? Click here!
The Panoramic Eye Exhibit
Hüseyin Sermet Recitals
Ankara Piano Festival
Joan Miró: Women, Birds, Stars
Mandatory Health Insurance for Expats
Sand Sculpture Festival
Law on Foreigners and International Protection 2014
Free Wi-Fi Spots in Istanbul
Inside Out in Istanbul